Monday, April 20, 2009

Artemus Millet

It's interesting what others already know in your family. I have known that I am a relative (a cousin) of Kent Millet in the Battlecreek 6th ward in the Pleasant Grove East Stake for a very long time now, ever since I was younger, but never really knew the connection. Granted I'm still learning about these relationships but do know this, that Artemus Millet is a distant relative of mine (hence the relationship with Kent Millet from my ward.)

From what I know of Artemus Millet, there was quite a story behind his initial conversion. Before going into it though, I must make a small point. I have always wanted my family line to be somewhat connected with the pioneers of old church history. I felt a deep desire to have that connection with many that have passed on before us that have brought forth this great gospel. Having gone on many church history site tours and knowing a little bit about early settlers, I didn't have a direct relationship with them, I felt I couldn't connect with them because my family line wasn't there, with them.

Well now is my time to really feel what one particular individual's experience has done for me, and for many people. This individual is Artemus Millet, and here is his conversion story:

Artemus Millet was a wealthy builder in Canada at the time he and his wife learned of the restored gospel in late 1832. A family history tells the story:

Brigham Young was given a special mission [by the Prophet Joseph Smith] to go to Canada and baptize Brother Artemus Millet,…which call resulted from a consultation held at Kirtland respecting the building of the Temple there, and as to who they could get that was capable of taking charge of the work. When Elder Lorenzo Young exclaimed to the Prophet “I know the very man who is capable of doing this work,” “Who is he?” asked the Prophet. Lorenzo replied [“It] is Artemus Millet.” The Prophet turned to Brigham and said, “I give you a mission to go to Canada and baptize Brother Artemus Millet, and bring him here. Tell him to bring a thousand dollars with him.” Artemus was much surprised when Brigham announced his mission to him and [he] asked “What kind of a church is that?” Then Brigham explained the principles of the Gospel to him and he accepted and was baptized.

Artemus, obedient to the Prophet’s call, left his family and went immediately to Kirtland, where he selected stone for the temple foundation. He later returned toCanada, disposed of his property on credit (which became difficult to collect), and took his family to Kirtland to supervise the masonry work on the temple. He deposited money in the Kirtland Safety Society Bank and loaned money to the Church that he never collected. Despite his financial sacrifices, however, Artemus Millet maintained his testimony. He later immigrated with his family to Utah, where his large posterity now enjoy the blessings of the gospel.
Karl Ricks Anderson, Joseph Smith's Kirtland, p.15-16



This was fantastic information! And by no means is it something of a small experience. I'm very thankful for the opportunity to have stumbled across this great piece of information, as now it has bridged the gap between my relationship with this distant cousin of mine, in my own ward!

While doing some basic searching online for more information about Artemus Millet I found his conversion story being used in context for a positive influence to those attending BYU. Below you will see a brief story told of Artemus Millet from M Russell Ballard when at a fireside given at BYU in November 1994:

Consider also the example of Artemus Millet. In 1832 the Church faced a real dilemma. A stonemason was needed to direct the stonework on the Kirtland Temple. No one was qualified. Lorenzo Young suggested that they recruit Artemus Millet, who was a capable stonemason living in Canada. But there was one problem--Artemus was not a member of the Church. Joseph Smith paused and considered the suggestion. He then turned to Brigham Young and said, "I give you a mission to go to Canada and baptize Brother Artemus Millet and bring him here." If that wasn't enough, he then said, "And tell him to bring a thousand dollars with him" (Millet Family History, "A Brief History of Artemus Millet," manuscript, LDS Archives, pp. 70 71). You prospective and returned missionaries, how would you like to receive such a mission assignment? With the help of the Lord, Brigham Young went to Canada and taught and baptized Brother Millet. When he was asked to leave Canada to supervise the work on the Kirtland Temple, Brother Millet responded that he had a business in Canada and if he left, not only would the business fail, but people who owed him money would never pay their debts to him. Being touched by the Spirit, Brother Millet left his business and moved to Kirtland, Ohio.
The stately Kirtland Temple is in a large part a monument to Artemus Millet. He lost his business. He lost his money. He lost his prestigious standing in Canada. Later his wife died. But look what he gained. He gained the gospel. He fulfilled an important earthly mission. He gained an eternal family, and today there are thousands of his descendants in the Church who call him blessed. I know some of his descendants who are leaders in this Church and who acknowledge that much of what they count dear in their lives is because of their faithful forefathers in following the prophet of God.


I only know that Artemus Millet comes from my mother's line, don't know exactly but I will find out. I hope to meet with my grandparents soon so I may get a more complete and accurate information from them.

1 comment:

  1. Artemus Millett, is accuately my great great great grandpa, or something like that. My grandparents, own a copy of a book, that has all of the Millett's on our side of he family. Also, someone discovered, that Millett, is spelled with two "T"'s and not one.

    ReplyDelete